1.15.2010

Channeling Sally Bowles

Every January 1st, I pull out my Moleskine journal and write down resolutions I would like to accomplish in the coming year. The number one spot for the past 14 years (!) has always been occupied by the resolution to tame the paper tiger that has resided in my house since eloping with my favorite redhead to the Graceland Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas and moving across the country to Portland, Oregon. Time will tell if I am finally able to accomplish this feat and have my long awaited “Summer of George”.

Coming in a close second on this year’s list was to follow through on posting to this blog. I have a tendency to start a mental post (this usually takes place on my work commute between Oregon and Washington) then fail to put keyboard strokes to computer screen.

After giving a lot of thought as to why I have such trouble posting, I came to the conclusion that being an anal-retentive wordsmith definitely has its disadvantages. I am searching for a way to let go of the angst I feel when electronically capturing and sharing my reflections on life and literature with the cyberverse. Having said that, I am sure that, even if I become more proficient at posting, I will still have the tendency to obsessively edit and rewrite; but here’s to kicking the fine-tuning fixation while still providing the goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment